June 30, 2016

amo-amas-amat








Amaryllis in a vase.
Cut down low so that it doesn't keel over







It was not easy to find material that coordinated with the deep red of the amaryllis flower. I chose the last remnants of R. "Many Happy Returns".


I was lucky it hadn't rained the night before, as she gets blotched very easily.


And here the 'toute ensemble', including Valerian that happened to be in the coral range this year. Then I filled in with Hellebore 'Pirouette', in a salmony colour that looks better in seedhead than it does in flower.

Somber arrangement you say?
You betcha!
I am in constant pain inspite of a heavy cocktail of painkillers.
Couldn't hold the camera steady, so had to resort to a tripod and timed release shutter.
At least this took my attention away from the pain - wherefore I thank Cathy and the group. Don't mind me moaning - it helps a bit :-)

This post is for Cathy HERE


And now for something totally different:

POVERTY PRESUMED

I sleep in rags
of summer solstice and the sun
where out-of-season mists
will slowly leave their scarves undone

revealing glory yet untold:
a thousand silver trails of snails
that yet again were bold
enough to cross my path

unfurling pearls and diamond drops
in alchemilla mollis leaves
jewels not found in any shops
jewels not pertinent to thieves

but giving pleasure nonetheless
to any open mind and eye
that finds delight in earth and sky
imparting richest happiness

-.-.-.-

imagined by joanna this morning
up early to practise for tomorrow morning
when I will try and catch the longest day's sunrise on camera.




















17 comments:

LINDA from Each Little World said...

You may be moaning and in pain but you have given me a jolt of joy this morning. That is one of the most creative and beautiful vases I've seen. A very elegant solution to using flowers of such different sizes and forms.

joanna uk said...

@Ms. Wis - Linda? not sure.
Please come again :-) that comment will sustain me for a good while.
I'm just out trying to walk a little through the wet and fresh garden. I'll come and return your visit later today.

Anonymous said...

And I would say it was sultry rather than brooding, but I am not coming from the same painful place as you are... I love seeing Amaryllis cut and think it works really well chort like this, but I know from other vases that not everyone agrees! You have got such a good eye for colour as the other blooms seem to blend seamlessly into the arrangement. Hope the pain eases off and you manage at least a short walk later - and even if you don't feel at all sultry perhaps the brooding will have lifted a little. Thnaks for your effort today, Joanna

Donna@Gardens Eye View said...

That red amaryllis is quite a focal point in your vase...and you chose perfect complementary flowers with the roses and valerian.

Eliza Waters said...

I'm sorry you are not feeling well. :-( Your vase is simply beautiful distraction, I agree. I particularly like the hellebore, it is such a lovely shade of salmon pink.

Donna@LivingFromHappiness said...

Oh my Joanna what a delightful solstice poem full of wonderful imagery....I loved the diamonds and trials of snails.

sandra d said...

Elegant, sumptuous and voluptuous all at the same time. So sorry to hear you are in pain - you moan away! It can certainly help, swearing a lot is good too! - sending wafts of soothing garden fragrance over the ether as I type. Take good care of you! (daffodilwild.wordpress.com)

Anonymous said...

Sorry you're having a difficult time. The flowers are superb in design. Smart to trim the amaryllis so it can be viewed easily and serve as a focal point. The other flowers accompanying it are really lovely too.

Kris Peterson said...

I'm sorry that you're coping with pain, Joanna. You still managed to create a vase that is both elegant and dramatic. Red flowers (of which I have few) usually send me looking for contrasting blues but what you put together is much more effective.

Anca Tîrcă said...

A very elegant vase and a beautiful combination of colours!

Crimson Kettle said...

A wonderful arrangement :-)

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

So sorry for your pain :( The flowers are very beautiful! x Karen

Sara - Villa Emilia said...

Hello Joanna, your photos are really beautiful!
There are wonderful flowers and bouquets in this post and in the earlier ones.
Thank you for sharing!

Coastal Ripples said...

Beautiful colour combinations. Your flowers work really well together. Love the use of the valerian :)

Anonymous said...

Nice strong design, lovely really. Glad you find solace or at least distraction in creating your arrangements. Best to you.

LINDA from Each Little World said...

I still think this may be the best vase anyone has ever shared on this meme. Absolutely breath-taking in color, form and texture. I looked at this yesterday and again this morning (as well as when you first posted it). It just knocks me out every time I see it.

joanna uk said...

Thank you Linda, and all others that have been kind enough leave me com[pli]ments - I am so grateful for the contact at yhis difficult time in my life.

Post a Comment