June 05, 2016

fourth day


Voila, my bouquet put together from the following ingredients:




A branch of Kolkwitzia, the beauty bush shrub. A giant beast of a shrub, covering 400 square feet of the backgarden. It's in flower for a good three weeks and I adore it. At present the red bud tree, cercis siliquastrum, is trying to overlay one side of it and I shall have to tame that tree somehow.




A branch of this shrub, Deutzia "Rosamunde" which grows next to the vine house so that I can photograph it through the windows. When the glass gets mucky with green algae, it gives a nice patina to the picture. I know, I could get a similar effect with layers, but somehow I like the immediacy of an actual layer of dirt :-). Makes it look romantic, don't you agree? Besides, who likes washed windows. The birds certainly don't as they get a headache from the headbanging against clean windows.



Wisteria sinensis "Pink Ice", a 30 feet wide climber reaching for our roof, which covers the kitchen window at the front of the house. More about the Wisteria in the previous post HERE




Mock orange or Philadelphus, another giant shrub, covering 30 feet



Then I added a perfect bloom from Rosa 'Arthur Bell' [ a McGredy rose] plus its immaculate foliage [ won't be long before snails get to that shrub, even though I grow it inside the vine house, it is still not immune from pests.
I added 2 flowers from the deep purple/blue clematis Viola, and a piece of driftwood sticking out of the top of the concoction.







Then the whole thing fell apart and the rose started to drop its petals, so I simplified it a little as seen in the first photo at the top of the post.

This is for Cathy HERE



My garden has developed into a matrix garden, where planting is concerned with successive layers of vegetation, one above the other, through which plants form multi-dimensional communities.


The concept of “matrix planting” is based upon models of natural vegetation types, wherein a variety of species grow together in harmony and in support of each other. Think of it as a fruitcake: small plants are distributed across the larger plant matrix like nuts and fruits are scattered through the fruitcake dough matrix.



This is for Nick's page HERE

and for Denise's page HERE





17 comments:

Christina said...

You have some lovely shrubs to use as cut flowers. Do you condition them before putting them in the vase, I find shrubby material doesn't last all that long. Thanks for visiting my blog, I hope you enjoy what you see.

sandra d said...

Stunningly beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Lovely in every aspect Joanna. Great photographs too. Athough the large size would be intimidating for my little garden, it's wonderful to have bushes that flower so magnificently.

Eliza Waters said...

A beautiful vase, so artfully arranged - gorgeous!

Donna@Gardens Eye View said...

Stunning...love the colors and how they blend perfectly...and what a variety of blooms.

Kris Peterson said...

You've got stunning flowers and you've arranged and photographed them beautifully, Joanna. It's a very romantic arrangement. The dark-colored Clematis was an inspired addition.

Heidi's Wanderings said...

They are so beautiful! I bet they smell wonderful!

Photo Cache said...

Beautiful arrangements.

Lady Fi said...

Beautiful flower arrangement!

Fun60 said...

You havea wonderful eye for flower arranging.

Lady of LaMancha said...

Oh! I had never thought of using wisteria in a vase. I love the cascade effect it provides. Lovely!

ramblinginthegarden said...

Yes, I was wondering about the size of your garden with all those huge shrubs you have! Lots of material for picking though - and what wonderful photos in this and your wisteria post.

Katarina said...

Exquisite flower arrangements - skilfully captured!

Tom said...

Joanna, yet again you humble me by your amazing gardening and photographic skills! I will never look at the lowly Kolkwitzia quite the same again. Keep yourself well, you are an inspiration to more people that you will ever know.

joanna uk said...

@Tom - Lowly? It's the star of the garden. Shows how florally spoilt you all are over there :-)
Well, I'll forgive you anything after those lovely words.

Linda said...

Absolutely stunning!!!

Melbourne Australia Photos said...

Wonderful shots, Joanne!
Thank you for joining us at the Floral Friday Fotos meme.

Post a Comment